Title: Education Assistant
Department: Manyhorses High School
Reports to: Principals, Director of Education
Designation Fixed term, Contract Position
Under the direction of a teacher and as a member of the student’s learning team, this position provides assistance in the education and support of students.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- In a program structured by the teacher, works with students in small groups or on an individual basis.
- Assists in remedial work, reinforcement or practice of skills, or the preparation of individual or small group projects. May oversee the work of a class while the teacher works with small groups or individuals as necessary.
- Assists in the maintenance of records and files.
- Assists teachers in the preparation of curriculum materials and tests. Types, draws diagrams, duplicate and collate materials.
- Operates laminating and duplicating equipment as required. Assists in the operation of audio-visual equipment and assessing technology.
- Circulates curriculum materials, assignments and texts, distributes and collects materials and maintains associated records. May assist in marking exams or worksheets from a key provided.
- Remains alert to all situations that may represent a risk to students. Supervises the loading and uploading of students onto busses as assigned. Deals with minor issues with students as required.
- May assist in organizing and supervising on field trips and other off-campus activities.
- Assists in classroom management activities, such as the preparation of paints, setting up or clean-up of rooms and tables, preparation of displays, bulletin boards, etc.
- May contact parents of ill or injured students as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality, and a patient, supportive and enthusiastic commitment to students.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Post secondary Education Assistant certificate or working toward achieving certificate.
- Six (6) months related experience, preferably working with students in a group setting.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
- Ability to support students in math.
- Reliability and dependability.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability work effectively as an active team member in co-operation with other school personnel, parents/guardians, therapists, instructional resource personnel and students.
- Ability to establish trust and rapport with students.
- Comfort and competency working with personal computers and other technologies to support student learning.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and willingness to regularly enhance skills and knowledge for professional development.
- Ability to respect and value all individuals with sensitivity to diversity.
- Ability to manage situation of conflict, frustration and unpleasantness effectively.
- Ability to respond appropriately to challenging behaviours of students.
- Good organizational skills, time management skills and pacing skills to support student scheduling.
- Strong oral and listening communication skills.
- Ability to gather, analyze and synthesize information.
- Ability to make straightforward decisions and apply straightforward reasoning in problem solving.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in work assignments.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in situations with frequent distractions and interruptions.
- Ability to be alert and respond to situation of risk.
- Personal suitability.
- Depending on your position – a Vulnerable Sector check must be required upon application from all provinces, states or countries lived in for the last four years. Vulnerable Sector checks must be completed within the past month.
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.
Competition Opens: November 16, 2022
Competition Closes: November 30, 2022 @ 12:00PM MT (No applications will be considered after this time)
Please apply in writing, including a resume to:
TsuuT’ina Nation Human Resources Department
9911 Chiila Boulevard, Tsuu T’ina, Alberta T2W 6H6
Or Email: Jobs@tsuutina.com
Please reference in subject line: JOB TITLE & REF# or will NOT be opened
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those chosen with the required qualifications will be contacted for an interview.