Title: Gunaha Headstart Education Assistant
Department: Chilla Elementary and Gunaha Institute
Reports to: Principals, Director of Education
Designation 1 year, contract Position
Under the direction of a teacher and as a member of the student’s learning team, this position provides assistance in the education and support of students.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- In a program structured by the teacher, works with students in small groups or on an individual basis.
- Assists in remedial work, reinforcement or practice of skills, or the preparation of individual or small group projects. May oversee the work of a class while the teacher works with small groups or individuals as necessary.
- Assists in the maintenance of records and files.
- Assists teachers in the preparation of curriculum materials and tests. Types, draws diagrams, duplicate and collate materials.
- Operates laminating and duplicating equipment as required. Assists in the operation of audio-visual equipment and assessing technology.
- Circulates curriculum materials, assignments and texts, distributes and collects materials and maintains associated records. May assist in marking exams or worksheets from a key provided.
- Remains alert to all situations that may represent a risk to students. Supervises the loading and uploading of students onto busses as assigned. Deals with minor issues with students as required.
- May assist in organizing and supervising on field trips and other off-campus activities.
- Assists in classroom management activities, such as the preparation of paints, setting up or clean-up of rooms and tables, preparation of displays, bulletin boards, etc.
- May contact parents of ill or injured students as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality, and a patient, supportive and enthusiastic commitment to students.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Post secondary Education Assistant certificate or working toward achieving certificate.
- Six (6) months related experience, preferably working with students in a group setting.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Tsuut’ina Language, culture, and history
- Committed to the full revitalization of the Tsuut’ina Language
- Ability to support students in math.
- Reliability and dependability.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Collaborates with Tsuut’ina Gunaha Institute for resource material
- Assist in development of the Tsuut’ina Language and Culture
- Ability work effectively as an active team member in co-operation with other school personnel, parents/guardians, therapists, instructional resource personnel and students.
- Ability to establish trust and rapport with students.
- Comfort and competency working with personal computers and other technologies to support student learning.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and willingness to regularly enhance skills and knowledge for professional development.
- Ability to respect and value all individuals with sensitivity to diversity.
- Ability to manage situation of conflict, frustration and unpleasantness effectively.
- Ability to respond appropriately to challenging behaviours of students.
- Good organizational skills, time management skills and pacing skills to support student scheduling.
- Strong oral and listening communication skills.
- Ability to gather, analyze and synthesize information.
- Ability to make straightforward decisions and apply straightforward reasoning in problem solving.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in work assignments.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in situations with frequent distractions and interruptions.
- Ability to be alert and respond to situation of risk.
- Personal suitability.
Competition Opens: May 9, 2023
Competition Closes: May 23, 2023 @ 12:00PM MT (No applications will be considered after this time)
Please apply in writing, including a resume to:
TsuuT’ina Nation Human Resources Department
9911 Chiila Boulevard, Tsuu T’ina, Alberta T2W 6H6
OR Email: Jobs@tsuutina.com
Please reference in subject line: JOB TITLE & REF# or will NOT be opened
This competition is an internal posting and is open only to Tsuut’ina Nation citizens.