Title: Junior Accountant
Department: Tsuut’ina Education
Reports to: Director of Education
Designation: 12 month – Full-time
This position contributes to the overall success of the Tsuut’ina Nation Education Department and requires regular and unscheduled communication updates with the Director of Education and the appropriate Financial Controller. The incumbent must keep accurate records of funding proposals and agreements, track the funding report deadlines and assist in preparing the final funding reports. The Junior Accountant will work closely with the Finance Department and Finance Controller assigned to the Department to ensure proper accounting treatment is in place for accounts payable/receivable, budget preparation and financial reporting.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This job includes a comprehensive range and variety of accounting, clerical and organizational duties. Performing these duties requires a high level of initiative, and independent judgement. Duties frequently require the discreet and tactful handling of highly sensitive and confidential material.
- Keeps records of financial transactions for the department.
- Verify, allocate and post details of business transactions to accounts in journals or computer files such as invoices, receipts, check stubs and computer printouts.
- Summarizes details in separate ledgers or computer files.
- Maintain, and transfer data to general ledger.
- Reconciles and balances accounts.
- Compile reports to show statistical data such as but not limited to cash receipts and expenditures, profits and loss and other items pertinent to the operation of Tsuut’ina Nation Education Department.
- Approve district accounts payable with purchase orders.
- Prepare payment to vendors in a timely manner.
- Prepare all required materials for reporting purposes.
- Processes cash receipts and identify proper fund placement.
- Prepares expenditure reports, and make budget amendments.
- Inform and update the Director of Education at all times.
- Assist in preparing the budget for the new fiscal year.
- Prepares comparative analysis of salary schedules for review and approval by the Director of Education and the School Board.
- Four (4) years experience, at least three (3) years in a position above entry level preferred.
- Must have a relevant degree, a CPA designation and be in good standing with CPA Alberta.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of current accounting practise, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of business and accounting language.
- Skill in typing accurately from rough draft or plain copy at a working rate of speed.
- Proficiency in using 10-key adding machine by touch.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to check numbers and written material for accuracy.
- Ability to make mathematical computation and tabulations accurately with speed.
- Ability to maintain accounting records and prepare reports from varied statistical and accounting information.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to layout and implement accounting, budgeting and benefits procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Working knowledge of computer word processing systems, spreadsheet applications and database systems.
- Depending on your position – a Vulnerable Sector check must be required upon application from all provinces, states or countries lived in for the last four years. Vulnerable Sector checks must be completed within the past month.
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.
Competition Opens: July 29, 2022
Competition Closes: August 12, 2022 @ 12:00PM MT (No applications will be considered after this time)
Please apply in writing, including a resume to:
TsuuT’ina Nation Human Resources Department
9911 Chiila Boulevard, Tsuu T’ina, Alberta T2W 6H6
OR Email: Jobs@tsuutina.com
Please reference in subject line: JOB TITLE & REF# or will NOT be opened
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those chosen with the required qualifications will be contacted for an interview.