Title: Curriculum Developer
Department: Tsuut’ina Education
Reports to: Director of Education
Designation 12-month contract
The successful applicant will work with Elders, Nation members, teachers, students, school leadership, and the Gunaha Institute. The Curriculum Developer will assist in completing a draft of the Tsuut’ina Language and Culture Curriculum; Kindergarten to Grade 12 in accordance with the Program of Studies.
To finalize the Tsuut’ina Language and Culture Curriculum, including learning outcomes, and scope and sequences for all grade levels. The Curriculum Developer will work alongside education staff, Gunaha Teachers, fluent speakers, and students to integrate Tsuut’ina language and culture into the curriculum.
- Develop subject specific introductions, Kindergarten to Grade 12 scope and sequences and learning outcomes that bring together subject conceptual and procedural knowledge, competencies and literacy and numeracy.
- Attend and participate in Tsuut’ina Gunaha professional development, trainings, and workshops, that will benefit the development of the Tsuut’ina Language and Culture Curriculum.
- Conduct effective Indigenous Language Revitalization research and consult with key collaborators for curriculum development purposes.
- Contribute their subject matter knowledge and perspectives.
- Utilize the curriculum development application to produce programs of study.
- Review and organize the Language and Culture Curriculum developed.
- Provide monthly updates to Tsuut’ina Education and Tsuut’ina Gunaha Institute.
- Research, gather, and organize information on Tsuut’ina history, culture, education, and land.
- Become familiar with Tsuut’ina linguistic methodology and framework initiatives to teaching Tsuut’ina Gunaha and culture.
- Prepare, participate, and be involved in the Tsuut’ina Language and Culture Curriculum Advisory Committee.
- Work closely with Tsuut’ina Gunaha Institute.
- Attend meetings as needed with: Tsuut’ina Language/Culture Committee, Gunaha Institute, Language Commissioner, and Education Leadership.
- Experience in Indigenous Language Revitalization Curriculum Development.
- Knowledge of Tsuut’ina language, culture, and education programming initiatives.
- Knowledge of Tsuut’ina Language Revitalization efforts and long-term plans.
- Knowledge of Indigenous Language Revitalization Objectives by the UN General Assembly declared the International Decade of Indigenous Languages.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent years of experience may be considered.
- Experience working with community Elders.
- Knowledge of the current Alberta Education K-12 Provincial Curriculum.
- Knowledge of literacy, numeracy, and language and culture and competencies by Alberta Education is an asset.
- Knowledge of Dene Language Revitalization Curriculum Development is an asset.
- Strong research and analysis skills utilizing various methods including: Indigenous Language Revitalization, digital tools and linguistic analysis.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage Curriculum Development workload.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with Tsuut’ina Education and the Tsuut’ina Gunaha Institute.
- Depending on your position – a Vulnerable Sector check may be required upon application from all provinces, states or countries lived in for the last four years. Vulnerable Sector checks must be completed within the past month.
Please note that this organization adheres to Sections 1 – 9 of the Aboriginal Employee Preference Policy for selection and displacement. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be under a probationary period at the commencement of his or her employment.
Competition Opens: March 10th, 2022
Competition Closes: March 24th, 2022 @ 12:00PM MT (No applications will be considered after this time)
Please apply in writing, including a resume to:
Tsuut’ina Nation Human Resources Department
9911 Chiila Boulevard, Tsuut’ina, Alberta T3T 0E1
OR Email: Jobs@tsuutina.com
Please reference in subject line: JOB TITLE & REF# or will NOT be opened
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those chosen with the required qualifications will be contacted for an interview.